Provincial Retail Monitor
September 22, 2010
* Canadian retail sales retreated by 0.1 per cent in July relative to a
month prior. This is in stark contrast with analyst expectations calling for
a M/M gain of 0.6 per cent.
July's performance comes on the heels of a slightly downwardly revised
growth of 0.0 per cent in June (from an initial estimate of 0.1 per cent).
* The weakness was not broad-based at the regional level, with 3 provinces,
namely British Columbia, Ontario and Nova Scotia, reporting declining sales.
of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) in the former two provinces on July 1st
2010 as well as the 2 percentage point increase in the prevailing HST regime
in the latter province in
July served as major impediments to growth in retail sales.
* Nova Scotia recorded the largest decline at 5.3 per cent. This performance
follows the largest M/M gain recorded in June at 3.3 per cent. British
Columbia and Ontario
experienced M/M declines in sales of 0.4 and 0.3 per cent, respectively in
* On the flipside, Canadian sales excluding British Columbia, Ontario and
Nova Scotia increased by 0.5 per cent. The most significant gain in sales
was observed in Manitoba
at 1.6 per cent, representing this province's third consecutive increase in
the indicator. Quebec experienced a gain in sales of 0.5 per cent after a
string of three consecutive
* Relative to July 2009, above-national gains in retail sales were recorded
in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Manitoba. Sales gains in
British Columbia and Alberta come, however, on the heels of earlier
weakness. Sales remain 2.9 per cent and 8.6 per cent, respectively below the
level reached in September 2008 (i.e. the month during which retail sales
peaked at the national level).
* The regional concentration of retail sales declines suggests that HST
played an outsized role in this indicator's performance in July. Data for
provinces not impacted by the implementation or increase in the HST point a
better picture for retail sales at the onset of Q3.
I hope this finds you Happy and Healthy!
All the Best!
A. Mark Argentino
P. Eng. Broker
Specializing in Residential & Investment Real Estate
RE/MAX Realty Specialists Inc.
Providing Full-Time Professional Real Estate Services since 1987
FAX 905-828-2829 CELL 416-520-1577
* Thinking of selling your home in the next 3 to 6 months? Would you
like a Complimentary & Quick Over-The-Net Home Evaluation ?
* Power of Sales and Foreclosures
* If you have not already signed up to receive my monthly real estate
newsletter, you may do so here: On-Line Real Estate Newsletter sign up
* See seasonal housing patterns
* Would you like me to send you a desk or wall Calendar?