Did you know?
- 22% of Canadians expect their home to be a primary source of retirement income
- 31% of home sales in Canada this past summer were attributable to downsizing
- 60% of Baby Boomers expect to downsize in the next 10 years
As homeowners approach or enter retirement many of them need to capture the equity value of their family home. These homeowners face a growing risk of seeing their value decline in the coming years as:
- interest rates rise
- the number of family home buyers decreases
- the number of family home sellers increases
Here are some of the areas covered:
- Home prices in the GTA - history, trends, predictions
- Demographic trends and their impact
- Affordability - history, trends, predictions
- Downsizing Case Studies
- The Keys to Retirement Income - Security, Potential, Flexibility
TOP TEN REASONS TO DOWNSIZE IN THE NEXT YEAR
10. There are rooms in your home that you haven’t been in for more than a year
9. Home prices are good now but will likely decline when interest rates rise
8. You can't remember what’s in the boxes in the basement/garage
7. Affordability has never been better and there are a lot of potential buyers out there
6. You are paying to heat/cool/clean at least twice the space you actually need
5. Home prices have risen for 13 consecutive years ... is it time to lock up your gains?
4. Your home equity can earn Guaranteed Income Growth of 7% each year before retirement including 2009!
3. It took more than 12 years for home prices to recover after the last "peak" in 1989
2. The home equity you free up can generate Guaranteed Income for Life with upside potential
And the #1 Reason to Downsize in the next year:
Your “30 something” kids won’t be able to move back in with you!